The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Week Five - Saturday

Last night Lenny slept pretty good, which means I slept pretty good of course. He only woke up twice!

Our day was the usual, Lenny had PT and OT today, no speech which he was happy about. Our day was pretty uneventful, just another day of Lenny working hard to get better, to get home.

He is still complaining of course of being uncomfortable and asked me today to go an get him something for the bed, so I went and got him a memory foam thing for the bed, he seems to really like it.

As I mentioned before they have changed him to not put any weight on his legs until we go and see the orthopedic surgeon that did his surgery. He is having this weird popping in his left knee that is causing him pain. We are waiting for an appointment, they haven't been able to get him one yet because my company just changed insurance providers and now they have to re-authorize everything with the new company. Hopefully we will here something Monday.

Well, if I don't post tomorrow night it is because nothing eventful happened. I imagine tomorrow will be pretty boring because there are no therapies, what he doesn't know yet though is that I am going to make him do his exercises... He He.

Love, Nancy


  1. Glad to hear Lenny is working so hard to get home. He is so strong and I know he will be home soon!!! Good to hear your giggle at the end.... I picture a big smile on your beautiful face. Love you both.
    Love~ Mel :)

  2. Way to go mom! No days off...LOL! We know all about the knees here! Hope the memory foam helps him sleep all night (and you 2)! Glad to hear that things are progressing and that you finally have some humor in you that is able to come out in your blog! We love you both and think about you guys all the time!
    Love and Hugs....
    Tina, Jordan, and Aspen

  3. I miss both of you so much! I know you will be home soon. I can't wait! GO LAKERS!

    Love, Julia

  4. Nancy, I am so glad that things are progessing! What a miracle!! I was thinking of you today. I continue to keep you both in my prayers. Cindy Stewart from Villaggio