The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Week Four - Friday

So here we sit still in Arizona and four weeks have passed since the accident. Sometimes I look around and don't even know the life I used to lead. Now my days and nights are filled with trying to help Lenny get through this. It is a weird feeling to think how simple life really used to be before the accident, and how you take it for granted. Get up, go to work, hang out with friends, watch TV, all like clockwork. Now we barely sleep, keep on schedule for Lenny's therapies, and help him with every little daily task that we all can do easily. Even brushing his teeth is a chore for him, and I can see he feels helpless. I am pulling from every piece of my insides to stay strong and never let him see any sleepiness or sadness on my face and we are making it through day by day.

I thought today I would walk you through our day, as it is becoming pretty repetitious. Every night we receive Lenny's therapy schedule for the next day so we know what time he has to be where. We wake up each day (after our many wake ups throughout the night) at 6:30am as breakfast is at 6:45. I go down to the cafeteria and get Lenny's breakfast and bring it back to the room to him. Then I go back and get my own and we eat breakfast together. After breakfast I take the trays back to the cafeteria then proceed to get him up and ready for the day. Today for example we had PT at 9am and OT at 10am. Lenny does all his grooming (brush teeth, wash face, etc.) in bed because he has this great tray table with a mirror in it. Then he gets dressed (I had to buy him all new stuff because of course he had only been wearing a hospital gown since they cut off his board shorts at the accident scene). To get out of bed Lenny uses what is called a slideboard. It is a piece of wood that is about 2 feet long that we put under him, then he slides across it from the bed to the wheelchair. He has gotten really good at it.

At 9am we went down to PT and his therapist was assigned another patient besides Lenny so since I knew all of his starting exercises I was his PT coach for the first half hour doing his leg exercises. Then his therapist teaches him a few new exercises every day. At 10am we went over to OT which seems to be different kinds of things every time he goes. Some days it is puzzle type exercises, some days it is upper body workout, some days it is how to do normal day to day things like take a shower (which we know how to do now). Today he did upper body strength exercises and he did excellent. I told him that next time we will have to take a picture to share with you all.

At 11am is lunch and the procedure is the same as breakfast. Today at 1pm he had speech therapy which is where they put him through exercises to test his brain functionality (memory, problem solving, etc). This is the one he hates the most because he feels they ask him questions for 5 year old. I just keep telling him it is part of the healing process and to just hang in there.

After speech today I helped him take a shower before getting him back into bed (we all know how much Lenny loves showers). After his shower it was time for dinner at 5pm and the procedure is the same as breakfast and lunch of course. After dinner he took a nap for an hour and then we do more little things like brush teeth, etc. Most of my day is spent adjusting pillows, rubbing feet, legs, back, because he is so miserably uncomfortable. If I could do anything for him it would be to make him feel comfortable. Last night I went to Target and bought him a blanket like one we have at home and 6 pillows. He thinks the rubber pillows they have here in the hospital are making him sweat so he asked for different pillows. Even with all of that nothing seems to keep him comfortable for more then 5 to 10 minutes. It seems that as soon as I sit down I am right back up fluffing a pillow or getting him something.

He takes all his medicine at 9 in the morning and night, so at about 10 every night I turn out the lights and try to get him to go to sleep which lasts about an hour at a time. Last night he did really good and only woke up 3 times, he thinks it is because of the blanket and pillows I bought him, and I hope so. I cannot tell you what a helpless feeling it is to see him hurting and so uncomfortable all the time knowing there is nothing I can do but fluff a pillow or get him something to drink. I guess I am feeling a heavy heart today, wanting to be able to help him so much more then I can, and trying to put aside all my own feelings in all of this. I keep wondering when I will stop waking up wondering if this all was just a dream.

We miss everyone and home so much, Lenny got some flowers today which made him smile, and Mishell went over to the house today to overnight Lenny his Laker jersey's so he has them by Monday. It is really funny that Monday starts the Western Conference Finals and it is Phoenix vs. Lakers and we are here in Phoenix. He really wants to live it up with the Laker stuff here in his room so he will be glad to have his jerseys.

Tomorrow we start all over again, and I will try to get some pictures for you all.

Well it is about that time to get him to try to sleep, good night all.
Love Nanc

3 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    I know when our loved ones are hurting we just want to take away all the pain. Keep your spirits up. You ARE doing so much for him!!! Never doubt it. You are truly an amazing woman.
    I will pray for renewed strength for you. Please give Lenny my love and let him know I think he looks absolutely beautiful!!
    Thanks for sharing the pics.

    Love
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy:
    It is never easy to see someone you love in agony and discomfort. You are a wonderful and very strong person and he is so lucky to have you there with him. Lenny is getting better everyday but the type trauma he sustained takes a long time to recoup from. Try and just take it one day at a time and keep smiling you are doing everything you possibly can for him and that is what he needs most right now. He needs you just to be there for him honey. I love you and admire you so much for your strength and love for Lenny.

    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenny and Nanc, I don't want you Guys to worry about your Cats, I'm taking good Care of them. They all Miss You Very Much. I tell them that there Mommy and Daddy will be Home soon. Sometimes I think they understand Me LOL, But I tell them anyways. Lenny did you see Penny Kissing Me LOL. She likes to Bite my Chin also. She is such a sweet Cat !!!! They really liked there Treats I gave them today. I spend time with them, so they don't feel alone. Well Lenny and Nanc hang in there and you'll be Home before you know it. All Your Babys say HI !!!!!!! and they Love You Both !!!! All My Love and Prayers. DAD.

    ReplyDelete