The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Week Five - Tuesday

From Lenny:
I am a lonely Laker Fan in Suns Country. Thank you everyone, I am doing good. Everyday is better, everyday I am a little stronger. I can't wait to be home and see my Dog.

From Nancy:
Today we found out that the insurance has authorized Lenny to stay in rehab until next week. He has doctors appointments with the surgeons on the 25th and we should be heading home after that. We are very excited. I think secretly we were kind of hoping to get kicked out so we were forced to go home, but fate has shown us that Lenny is where he needs to be to get better.

Today in Physical Therapy Lenny stood up with the electronic walker thing...see picture:
He still cannot put all his weight on his left leg and no weight on the right leg, but this was a big step for him. He stood the first time for about 2 minutes then he stood up and down 2 more times. It hurt a lot and he had to ice it after that.

We are still waiting for an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon, hopefully it will be soon now that the insurance has approved us.

Well until tomorrow, have a great night everyone.

Love, Lenny and Nanc


  1. Marianne HerreraMay 19, 2010 at 3:51 AM

    Nancy and Lenny:
    Thank you so much for that picture of Lenny standing. That is the day I have been waiting for. Thats a big step in progress and it again made tears come to my eyes. The next picture I am looking forward to seeing is his first steps. The tears are tears of joy this has been such a long road for you both. I am so excited that you soon on the road to home. This will be an exciting part of the journey for you both. Please rest if you need to on the way home (Thats the mother in me of course) I know you know what to do I am just still your mom and love you so much that I still need to try and help and tell you what to do. I love you both and can never express in words how happy I am your almost home.

    Love Ya both,

  2. Susan (Cleaves) D.May 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM

    Hello Lenny and Nancy,

    It is great to see how strong you both are remaining. I am so excited that you will soon be able to be back in the comfort of your own home with your friends and family around. I am happy that Lenny is doing so much better and that he has a strong, wonderful woman to help him. Please take care and remember you are all in our prayers.


  3. Yay Lenny!!! So awesome to see you moving around. Go Lakers!!! Looks like another sweep!! Miss you Nanc. Can't wait to see you guys!!

  4. Looking good Lenny !!! Keep up the good work. You are so strong.... So excited to see you at you house with you kitties....
    Love~ Mel