The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Week Ten and Eleven

So when I came on here today I realized my post from last week was not on here, I must have not pushed the right button, sorry for that.

As I mentioned before they started Lenny on a nerve medication called Neurontin, which is there to help dull the nerve pain in his face. Last week they increased his dose from 2 times per day to 3 times per day, and this week they increased him to 4 times per day, and great news, it seems to be helping. You can see that the pain has eased a little when you look at him, so that is a bit of a relief. His right eyebrow is starting to gain function which makes him happy, at first it would not move at all and now it is moving quite a bit.

He is getting around the house really good now with his scooter. He can pretty much do everything he needs to do each day as long as I leave things out on the counters for him. I go back to work on Tuesday and I can't wait. I never thought I would say those words, but I am. I started making some work appointments today and it is the first time I have felt normal since the accident. It will be tough and I will have to keep a tight schedule to get my work in and Lenny's appointments, but that is a piece of cake compared to what we have been through.

Thank you again to all of you that are following Lenny's progress. It has been slow right now, which makes it a little boring, but the next steps will show themselves on July 13th when Lenny sees the ortho doctor again. We are hoping they release him to stand and start walking.

Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Until next week,
Love Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment