The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Week Four - Saturday

Tonight's blog will be short, as I am exhausted to the core. Last night Lenny was up every 20 minutes to half hour. Hot, cold, thirsty, had to pee, just plain old uncomfortable. I have a hard time sleeping to begin with because I am afraid I will miss him calling my name for something. This will get easier, it is all just so new to him of course.

This morning he woke to have breakfast and then speech therapy which is when they do a bunch of brain questions to make sure he is ok. He hates it, but I explained to him it is just part of the deal to get better. After speech therapy we learned that they were coming in to change out his trach to the smaller one. Well good news, once they got in there they felt that HE DIDN"T NEED THE TRACH ANYMORE AT ALL. We were so happy. So they removed the trach, cleaned it up, and put a piece of gauze with tape over it. He has to put his hand on it and push in when he is talking and coughing, but he is so much more comfortable.

After the trach was removed it was time for all his medicine and immediately following that was lunch. He was getting so tired he barely ate his lunch. Finally he stopped fighting it and went to sleep forgoing the rest of his lunch. He slept so good I could not believe it. The nurse came in at 12:30 cause he had PT at 1pm, I told her how tired he was and they decided to skip the other two therapies today. He slept good and woke up a few times for the typical things, but for the most part was right back to sleep after he got what he needed. He woke up about 3 and we just talked until some friends came over to bring us dinner which was so nice (thank you again Kym & George).

Lenny watched the Laker Game of course and was glad to see them win. Tonight was the first game where he had his Laker Gnome watching the game with him which he liked.

So here we are at the end of the night and my eyes are burning as I stare at the screen. Here's to hoping we both get a good nights sleep.

Love, Lenny and Nancy

2 comments:

  1. As every night I just can't go to sleep without reading this! You guys are going through so much, i can't thank you enough for taking the time each day to share with us! You are an angel Nancy! I am so thankful that you are able to be at Lennys side now. Having you there is going to help him be able to recover so much faster. I know when I had surgery in December, having Brett in the room gave me such a feeling of safety and love. I'm sure Lenny feels this times 100 after everything.

    I was so excited to see the Lakers win tonight. Damn Lenny is getting me hooked on basketball again! Lol

    Lenny - keep up the great work! The strength and courage you have displayed getting through this is inspring. I'm so pressed and amazed.

    We love you guys! Can't wait to see you both very soon! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne HerreraMay 9, 2010 at 5:52 AM

    Nancy:
    My dear sweet daughter my heart is with you please try and sleep wheneveer Lenny sleeps that will make it a little easier for the nites he has a rough nite. Another day of progress the trach was removed YEAH!!!! It is going to take him a few days to get acclamated to his new surroundings and changes in medication but he will get there. I am so proud of you I know this is hard for you to watch him go thru these moments of pain etc. you are his strength and you give him courage to push forward you truly are special and your love for him will see him through the bad moments. I love you so much. Take care of both of you.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete