The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Week Two - Saturday

Today was a good day. A lot of progress made for everyone. It seemed to be just good news after good news today.

When we arrived at the hospital for the morning visit, he was already 20 minutes into a vent trial. He had been successfully getting enough oxygen for 20 MINUTES! It was fantastic news. As soon as he can get off that ventilator he can be moved into a regular ICU room so I can stay with him all day. He was doing well at the morning visit, he is still really groggy and out of it, but that is to be expected from the type of facial and leg trauma he has experienced.

After the morning visit I was in desperate need to do laundry so we hit the laundry mat here at the hotel. While we were there I got the best call of my life. I saw that Mother (Jakie's Mom) was calling, when I answered I heard the best 3 little words ever "What up dork", it was Jakie. I melted. He was quiet of course but it was him. We spoke briefly and I was glad to have been able to hear from him. One of the hardest things about all of this was being secluded from seeing Jakie, so it was uplifting to hear from him. I believe he will start some rehabilitation there at the hospital before they talk about sending him home.

At the afternoon visit we got there and they had moved Lenny into this type of chair that had his legs lower that was good for his lungs and circulation. We were so excited when we saw he was moved we gasped, and everyone looked at us. Then we figured out that Lenny hated the chair, he kept falling/sliding down and was making him miserable. We told him it was helping but he was really frustrated which always makes it hard. This visit was the worst one for me as far as him not wanting to let me leave. Yiyi had to pull me out, it was hard. I guess you develop this overwhelming fear once an accident like this happens that if you let them out of your site it could happen again. That is something I will have to find a way to deal with, that I am sure will get easier in time, but for now I want to be with him every waking minute, which isn't possible because I need all those wonderful doctors and nurses to make him better. The vent trials that they are doing today are 1 hour off and 3 hours on, so he had another 1 hour trial since our morning visit which is fantastic news.

When I got to the evening visit he was back on his bed and sleeping. He woke up a little when I came in and said hello and he peeked open that left eye a little bit again and when I asked if he could see me he gave me the "little bit" hand signal. After that he fell asleep and I just stood over him watching him sleep holding his hand. Those are the moments of reflection that I stand there and thank God he is alive, that they all are. That in this time of such pain and sorrow I also feel such luck and thanks that he is still here. Staring at him and all those tubes and machines is when you get lost in the haze of "this can't be real".

We received more get well cards today, it is overwhelming the kindness that you all are showing, and words can never express how grateful I am. I am very excited for the day that I can read Lenny all his Get Well Cards, right now he is so sleepy that he wouldn't even remember, so I am keeping them all in an envelope for him.

I went to Wal-Mart and decided to make some baskets of cookies and muffins for the nurses and doctors, it was nice to feel like I could try to give back just a little for all their hard work and kindness. So when we showed up for the night visit it put a smile on their faces. To see what they go through with all these trauma patients is just amazing. The patience they display is unlike anything I have ever seen before. I have seen patients be awful to them and the families be awful to them, and it just makes you want to cry for them, but they are invincible and keep on doing what they do best.

At the night visit he looked comfortable, but he was really hot, so we got some cool wash cloths and cooled him down. They have to cover him up during visiting times so he is always pulling on that stupid gown when we are in there, but I lift it up and keep him cool with the fan they are so kind to let him have. After I cooled him down he went back to sleep and again looked peaceful. I decided to go ahead and leave before he woke up again and then we would have a repeat performance of the afternoon.

His constant complaint today was the catheter. He kept saying he had to pee and we kept explaining that he was and that it was just the pressure from the catheter, but he is having a hard time with it. I asked him quietly to try not to focus on it and try to rest.

All in all it was a progressive day, and I look forward to more of those. Tomorrow they will try longer vent trials to see how he does.

Thank you all again for all your kind words for Lenny and I. I value you all and your comments give me the strength to get through each day. I slept better last night, but I still feel exhausted and a bit like a zombie just going through the motions of the day, but that will pass as I adjust to this new way of life. I miss work, as I really love my job, and I really took for granted how simple life was when we just went through our daily routines. One day we will be back there, and I long for that day. Until then, I will feed off all your strength and energy to get my Lenny home.

Love you all,
Nancy

14 comments:

  1. I am loving the progress. I can not even image how excited you must have been to hear Jackie's voice !!! I look forward to the days when we are all sitting around your house watching the boys play poker and the girls dancing in the living room. It makes me so happy to know that both Jackie & Lenny are improving...
    I am amazed at your strength though out this horrible ordeal. You are an amazing woman... I admire your courage and strength.... I am so proud of you and proud to call you one of my best friends in the world.... I love you... and I am praying for Lenny, Jackie and you through out each day....
    Love~ Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news today! So exciting to hear that Lenny is improving. I know without a doubt that God is with all of you. He is as Tomya said the Great Physician. I pray so many times each day that God will not only heal Lenyy bit also that he will give him a sence of peace and comfort. Nance and Yiyi I pray that you as well as everyone else affected by this tragedy finds the stength each day to support Lenny as he healths. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to hear that Lenny is doing good with the vent trials. He's strong and healthy and he will make it through this tragedy. Keep up the good spirits.
    Love, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to hear about Jakie too. I bet that was one of the best phone calls you've ever gotten. Great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so excited to hear your words today because I felt your smile coming through those words. The call from Jakie had to lift your spirits so much. The muffin basket is so you--you have always been one to appreciate the kindness of other. Thank you for that. It is a shame that the other families in there do not appreciate all that they are doing for their family member.
    Lennys frustration will get better and is also is a sign that he is getting better. I believe you will find his progress to be more noticeable everyday now. Before you know it they will tell you he is ready for rehab and you will be on your way back to California. I love you my daughter and your huge giving heart. Your strength and courage is a blessing to us all. I am glad you and Mishell are together for each other you both will see each other through this.

    I love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about Jakie. I bet you wanted to fall to the floor when you heard his voice. Everyday will bring more good news Nancy. You will be home sooner then you think. You will have the same love and support when you bring Lenny home. Daniel asked me if you had someone taking care of the cats. I told him yes. It's was a nice feeling knowing that Daniel cares about Lenny also. They read your story as I do everday. Lenny didn't listen to the Laker game last night did he? Wow they lost big time!

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to see God answering our prayers! He is giving doctors wisdom and the healing is continuing for Lenny. He is giving you wisdom to see that the healing is coming. He is giving you peace and showing you ways to help others. We continue to pray for all that were affected by this horrible accident.
    Your testament of love continues to shine

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are soo happy lenny is doin better with out the vent. jr went and was able to spend some time with jakie, witch made them both happy. we cant wait to see the both of you soon. love you both very much!! stay strong and postive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy,
    I so look forward to your postings each night. I find myself checking my phone or computer starting at around 9 each night, just waiting. I feel like a kid again waiting for it to be Christmas morning so I can get that awesome present I had been waiting for. That is what it is like for me to see what happened in your day, Lenny's day, Jakie's day.

    I love that Jakie was able to call you. I bet you had the biggest smile on your face. I am so happy that he is doing better.

    Well the Laker gnome didn't work so well last night as of course you probably already know that they lost. Hopefully once Lenny gets into another room and the gnome is next to him, they will begin to win more games.

    I miss you at work too. I find myself just walking into your office and staring at your desk. I was complaining about something stupid the other day and realized, hey my day to day is awesome, I am so thankful I have a job, and can come here everyday. The everyday stuff is the gift, and we should all realize that.

    You are missed greatly. You are a gift to Lenny and Jakie, and need to be where you are. I hope that all of us do not forget the gifts we have in life, the gift of love, patience, happiness, friendship, working everyday.

    Love Jen Evans

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great News Nancy!! I know that each day will bring something new. Healing is a slow process but it sounds like Lenny is doing great! He is strong and boy does that help! How nice of you to do something for the staff there. They are the "unsung heros" and I'm sure they appreciate some kindness that you brought.
    Take care and keep your spirits up. Doing laundry and shopping will help you feel like there is some sort of normalcy. We miss you at work and can't wait for you to get back. Keep Strong and know that you have a TON of support!!

    Love Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Nancy - I am sooooo happy that Lenny is on his way to healing. With your support and love he will be home with you sooner than you know. Of course you made baskets to thank the nurses...you are in one of the worst situations and you are thinking of other people....the world is a better place with you in it. And Lenny is the luckiest man on the planet to have you by his side.

    Be Positive.

    You are stronger than you know.

    My love to - you - Lenny - Jakie - everybody on the boat - and all the nurses :)

    natalie

    ReplyDelete
  12. The world needs more Nancy's in it!!!!! What a wonderful woman you are!!! I will continue to keep everyone in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know your mom told me about what had happened but until I read this I had no idea. Your mom is so proud of you and she has every reason to be. You are a very good woman which makes me realize that the man you love Lenny must be an exceptional person to deserve your kind of love. Even in this very dark time in your life you are still thinking of everyone around you. God Bless you Nancy. Lenny you have so many people praying for you there is no way God would not listen to that many prayers. I am praying for a very speedy, painless recovery for you. When this is all over your relationship together will grow ten fold--your love is binding and a love that most people do not find in a lifetime. Cherish every moment from this day forward you both deserve nothing but happiness ahead.

    Your moms friend
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great news I hope and pray that today was even a better day for you all. May God continue to bless you each day with more great news and recovery for everyone. This is a very difficult time for all involve. I pray for you and Lenny that each day he gets better and he heals more and more each day. It seems that he was the one that was the worst in this accident but God is truly watching over him and healing him! Stay positive as you do. God bless you both! And I pray that each day brings more GREAT NEWS!!!

    ReplyDelete