The Accident

On 4/16/2010 at approximately 10 to 10:15pm, my Lenny was involved in a serious boating accident. There were 6 occupants of the boat, all were injured. Both Lenny and his best friend Jakie sustained life threatening injuries and were airlifted to trauma centers, Jakie to Las Vegas, Lenny to Phoenix.

I received a call at 1:45am informing me of the accident. I then spent the next 2 hours trying to find him and find out what happened. After calling two hospitals I found Jakie, and then called his mom and she took it from there. I still couldn't find Lenny, so I called the Lake Havasu Police and they got back to me in about a half an hour telling me he was in Phoenix and that the social worker would be calling me soon. Next came the longest 20 minutes of my life. Waiting to hear....

Lenny sustained the following injuries - Completely fractured face from the upper jaw to above the eyes, broken neck, broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and severely broken legs. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I spent the next several minutes rallying friends and getting to YiYi (that is what Lenny calls his sister). We all headed to Phoenix and below I will update you on his condition, how we are holding up, and have a way to communicate with you to keep you updated and be able to answer your questions and be able to get the support we so desperately need from all the wonderful people that love him.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Saturday

I arrived in Phoenix by plane at 8am and headed straight to the hospital. Lenny was already in surgery for his legs. They had to get right to it, to save his legs. He had a right broken femur (thigh bone) and compound fractures (broken bones that have come through the skin) of both legs below the knee. At the time, I did not know he was found pinned in the boat, so now that I know, we can see why they were do bad. Lenny got out of surgery in the early afternoon, and the plastic surgery team went right to work on repairing his nose which was severely damaged from the impact into the glove compartment area. Finally, after they were finished, they let us in for 5 minutes. It was wonderful to see him and for the first time I think I took a breath. He was there, he was alive. His nose looked great, they did a great job.

Lenny is in a SICU (Surgical Intensive Care Unit). There is a nurse at the foot of his bed at a desk watching him constantly and we are only allowed to see him for 15-30 minutes 4 times a day. I hate it. I just want to sit there and hold his had.

At our evening visit we were able to be in there for 15 minutes. He was awake, but his face was all swollen and he could not open his eyes, but he knew we were there. He was having a hard time with the ventilator, the doctors say it is very uncomfortable, so the visit was hard.

At our night visit he was much more comfortable, and started with hand jesters to communicate. He opened one of his eyes just a sliver and gave me a tiny smile. I was so happy. We were able to be in there for 30 minutes, he wiggled his toes for me, and my heart almost burst out of my chest.

5 comments:

  1. Have been thinking of you both constantly and wish desperatly that I could be there....you both have been amazing support for me and Noah and I feel completly helpless not being able to be there.....love and prayers flowing always to my most special friends. I love you both so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nancy,

    It's me Sarah I just wanted you t know if you need anything and I'm talking about "ANYTHING" or Lenny or his family I would love to help. I know with work and our busy lives we just need a break, so if you are ever in need please let me know. I am so sorry for the devistating news that you received. I am praying for all of you that God will give you the serenity to accept all these changes and be strong while in the process. May God take each and every heavy heart and shed his light upon them so that they may see clear, with hope, with faith, with love and with God's grace. Give them strength and courage to get through this with in eachother as well. In your name Heavenly Father we are thankful -Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I know u & Lenny don't know me personally, but please know that I'm praying 4 ALL OF U! Please tell Lenny he's in my prayers.

    Judy "Dee Dee" Delgado (ur facebook friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, my prayers are with you. We will be praying for you and Lenny everday.

    Gloria/CLS Landscape

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to post earlier but, guess it got lost. I knew Lenny many years ago when he was friends with my kids. I was mortified when I heard about his accident. Sweet, Big Ol Teddy Bear Lenny with that grin that always makes ya wonder.... =) I guess this is what you'ld call a bummed deal huh Lenny. Your Guardian angel was right at your side keeping you as safe as possible. Bless you honey. I'll be praying for you. Wish I could come see you,have family in Pheonix, but Im recovering from being hit by a semi. Theres couple things I want you to remember;boat water, not boat dirt. I love you sweetie. Let me know how you are doing you sweet thing. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete